Want to know how to make the most of your park visit with this innovative service?
Read on because we’re demystifying Genie Plus at Disney World, and trust me, you’ll want this insider knowledge for your next Disney adventure.
As an annual pass holder, I’ve used Disney’s Genie Plus countless times. In fact, churning Genie Plus is my absolute favorite Genie hack! Find out what it is and how to use it to make the most of your park visits.
Key Takeaways for Genie Plus at Disney World
- Disney Genie Plus is a paid service to help you get the most out of your Walt Disney World visit by enabling a fast-track entrance line.
- It offers access to Lightning Lane entrances, attractions, entertainment & magical extras with advanced planning.
- Pricing ranges from $15-40 per day, depending on date & park.
- Disney’s Genie Plus is not necessary to have a magical time at Disney World, it just helps you cut down time in the standby queue.
Understanding Disney Genie Plus
Launched in 2021 to replace the FastPass system, Disney Genie Plus is a paid service that allows you to:
- Reserve access to Lightning Lane entrances for over 40 attractions across the four Disney World theme parks
- Access it through the My Disney Experience app
- Make the most of your park visit and elevate your Disney World pictures with amazing camera photo filters.
With Disney Genie Plus, you can customize your day according to your preferences. Here are some options available:
- Choose from a vast array of attractions, entertainment, dining, and magical extras like Space Mountain, or selecting general interests like character meet-and-greets.
- If you’re staying at a Disney Resort Hotel, you’ll enjoy even more perks, like being able to purchase limited Lightning Lane access before non-hotel guests at 7 AM each day.
How Disney Genie Plus Works
Disney Genie Plus is designed to make your park experience as smooth and enjoyable as possible.
It all starts with the My Disney Experience app, where you can purchase Genie Plus for your visit.
Purchase the service starting a midnight the day of your Disney parks visit.
➡️ Personally, I do not stay up til midnight, but rather, I purchase it when I wake up in the morning. You want to have it purchased and ready to go before 7 AM when you make your first Genie reservation.
It helps to know the difference between Genie Plus vs Individual Lightning Lanes. Let’s clear this up right away.
- Special entrances to attractions allow guests with Genie Plus reservations or Individual Lightning Lane access to skip the regular line and get right to the action with minimal wait time.
- This is the physical line that you wait in. It doesn’t matter if you purchased Genie Plus or an Individual Lightning Lane. You will get in line here instead of the standby queue.
- Service allows you to pre-reserve lightning lane access to a number of rides, attractions and shows throughout the day.
- You cannot make a Genie Plus reservation for a specific ride more than once a day (you need to wait in the standby queue to ride again).
- Pay one fee that is good for the entire day.
Individual lightning lane
- Special one-time access for the most popular rides in each park such as Rise of the Resistance, Tron Lightcycle Run and Pandora’s Avatar Flight of Passage.
- Each selection is available for an additional fee and can be purchased separately from the Genie Plus service.
- You can purchase both Genie Plus and 2 Individual Lightning Lanes each day if you wish.
- You are only allowed to purchase 2 Individual lightning lanes per day per guest.
- On-site Walt Disney World hotel guests are given a special privilege to purchase Individual Lightning Lane Selections at 7 a.m. Guests staying offsite, however, have to wait until the official park opening time. Guests at the Walt Disney World Swan, Dolphin or Reserve can also purchase at 7 a.m.
Optimizing your Genie Plus experience requires a well-thought-out strategy.
One key tip is to book Lightning Lanes early in the day, as attractions may sell out.
Genie Plus Pricing and Options
One of the great things about Disney Genie Plus is its flexibility, allowing you to choose the option that best suits your park visit.
Genie Plus pricing varies depending on the date and park you choose, with single-park and multi-park options available.
For example, Magic Kingdom and Hollywood Studios have slightly higher prices due to their popular attractions, while you might find better deals on Genie Plus for EPCOT and Animal Kingdom.
To purchase Genie Plus, simply check the My Disney Experience app for the prices on the day of your visit.
Prices start at $15+ tax per person per day, and you can choose between any individual theme park or opt for the multi-park option if you have a park hopper ticket.
Remember that Genie Plus tickets are only available for purchase on the day of your park visit. They become available at midnight EST.
When deciding between single-park or multi-park options, consider your park plans for the day. If you plan to visit multiple parks in one day, a multi-park Genie Plus option is the way to go.
However, if you only plan to visit one park per day, purchasing Genie Plus for that specific park should suffice.
Navigating Individual Lightning Lanes
Understanding the differences between Lightning Lines and Standby Lines is crucial. While Lightning Lines provide shorter wait times for those with Genie Plus reservations, standby Lines are open to everyone and may have longer wait times.
Now, we have Individual Lightning Lanes, or ILL’s for short.
ILL’s allow entrance to specific rides at each park. They are usually the newest, most popular or fastest rides at Disney World.
Ok, I understand, this is where it gets confusing. Trust me, I’ve done this quite a few times and it does eventually get easier.
You can only purchase a maximum of 2 ILL’s per day (per guest). Remember, you don’t have to purchase any!
However, if you don’t want to wait in the posted standby time for any of these rides (they usually have the longest wait times), you can purchase the ILL to gain entrance to the lightning lane.
Maximize your amusement park journey by following these steps:
- Prioritize Genie Plus reservations for specific attractions.
- Decide if you want to purchase any ILL’s or join any virtual queues.
- Balance your time between Lightning Lanes and Standby Lines.
- This strategy ensures you fully enjoy your enchanting day.
Individual Lightning Lane vs. Genie Plus Attractions
When organizing your Disney World trip, understanding the distinction between Individual Lightning Lane attractions and Genie Plus attractions is vital.
Individual Lightning Lane attractions require a separate, additional fee and allow you to reserve a specific time to experience a particular ride, such as Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance or Tron Lightcycle Run. This option can be especially beneficial for guests who prioritize the most popular rides at Walt Disney World.
On the other hand, Genie Plus attractions are part of the Genie Plus service and allow you to skip the standby line for a variety of attractions across all four Disney World theme parks.
This can be an excellent option for guests who want to experience multiple attractions without committing to a specific time or paying an additional fee for Individual Lightning Lanes.
When planning your visit, consider the attractions you want to experience, your budget, and the wait times for each ride to determine whether Individual Lightning Lane selections or Genie Plus attractions are the better option for you.
With a bit of planning and strategy, you can craft a magical day at Walt Disney World that fits your preferences and budget.
Purchasing and Booking Genie Plus
Purchasing and booking Genie Plus is a simple and straightforward process. To get started, follow these steps:
- Download the My Disney Experience app.
- Open the app and navigate to the Tip Board section.
- Purchase Genie Plus for your visit. Remember, Genie Plus is only available for purchase on the day of your park visit. It’s available starting at 12 a.m. EST.
Once you’ve acquired the Genie Plus service and it’s 7 AM on the day of your park visit, you can begin booking your first Genie.
If you are staying onsite, you can also book your Individual lightning lane reservation, too. With each reservation, you will get a one-hour return time in which you need to go to your chosen attraction.
After ‘tapping in’ for your first reservation or after 120 minutes from your first selection, you’ll be able to book your next Disney Genie Plus reservation, ensuring a day full of magical experiences.
Attraction Breakdown by Park
One of the benefits of Genie Plus is the wide range of attractions available across all four Walt Disney World theme parks.
From water rides to thrill rides to seeing all the Disney Princesses, Genie Plus can come in handy and be a wonderful timesaver.
Individual Lightning Lane Attractions
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Tron Lightcycle/Run (also has a virtual queue)
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
- Festival of Fantasy Parade
- Haunted Mansion
- It’s a Small World
- Jungle Cruise
- Mad Tea Party
- Magic Carpets of Aladdin
- Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
- Mickey’s Philharmagic
- Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor
- Peter Pan’s Flight
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- See Cinderella at Fairytale Hall
- See Mickey at Town Square Theater
- See Princess Tiana at Fairytale Hall
- Space Mountain
Splash Mountain(Closed for rebrand/refurbishment until late 2024)
- Tomorrowland Speedway
- Under the Sea
Individual Lightning Lane Attractions
- Guardians of the Galaxy – Cosmic Rewind (also has a virtual queue)
- Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
- Frozen Ever After
- Journey into Imagination with Figment
- Living with the Land
- Mission: SPACE
- Remy’s Ratatouille Adventure
- Seas with Nemo
- Spaceship Earth
- Test Track
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Individual Lightning Lane Attractions
- Star Wars Rise of the Resistance (also has a virtual queue)
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Beauty and the Beast Live on Stage
- Disney Jr Play and Dance
- First time in Forever Singalong
- Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
- Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run
- Muppet Vision 3D
- Rock ‘n Roll Coaster
- See Disney Stars at Red Carpet Dreams
- See Olaf at Celebrity Spotlight
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Star Tours – The Adventures Continue
- Toy Story Mania
- Twilight Zone Tower of Terror
Individual lightning lane attractions
- Pandora: Avatar Flight of Passage
- Animation Experience at Conservation Station
- Celebration of the Lion King
- Expedition Everest
- Feathered Friends in Flight
- It’s Tough to be a Bug
- Kali River Rapids
- Kilimanjaro’s Safari
- Na’vi River Journey
With such a diverse selection of attractions available with Genie Plus, there’s something for everyone, making it an excellent addition to your Walt Disney World vacation.
Maximizing Your Genie Plus Experience
Having a well-defined strategy is key to fully leveraging your Genie Plus experience.
One key tip is to book your Lightning Lane reservations as early as possible on the day of your visit, as some attractions may sell out. Additionally, prioritize which attractions you want to reserve with Genie Plus, ensuring that you make the most of your park time.
Another important aspect of maximizing your Genie Plus experience is understanding the different booking strategies, such as churning and stacking.
- Booking one ride reservation after another. I LOVE churning. It’s easiest to do at Magic Kingdom because of the large number of rides in that park.
- Stacking involves booking multiple reservations for later in the day. I find Hollywood Studios lends itself to a stacking strategy best. Usually, we hit all the rides that do not have long lines first as we book and save our Genie Plus rides for later in the day.
Park hopping? This is another good use of stacking. In the morning at your first park, ride as much as you can while in the standby lines. At the same time, make your Genie Reservations for later in the day when you park hop.
Knowing when to churn or stack can help you make the most of your time at the parks and ensure you experience all your favorite attractions.
➡️ Click here for the best Magic Kingdom Genie+ Strategies and Tips
Utilizing park hopping can also help you make the most of your Genie Plus experience. Here’s how it works:
- You need a park hopper ticket if you want to make reservations for attractions in any park.
- Reservations for these attractions can be made after 2 pm.
- This flexibility allows you to experience a variety of attractions across multiple parks, adding even more magic to your day.
PhotoPass and Memory Maker with Genie Plus
Disney Genie Plus not only enhances your park experience through Lightning Lane reservations but also offers additional perks like PhotoPass and Memory Maker integration.
When you purchase Genie Plus, you’ll get digital downloads of all your PhotoPass ride photos, allowing you to relive those magical moments long after your visit.
In addition to ride photos, Genie Plus also grants you access to exclusive Disney PhotoPass Augmented Reality Lenses.
These lenses, similar to Snapchat filters, add a touch of Disney magic to your photos, with exclusive lenses available in specific locations throughout the parks. With Genie Plus, you can capture and cherish your Walt Disney World memories like never before.
Genie Lightning Lane for Groups and Families
Planning a visit to Walt Disney World with a group or family can be a daunting task, but Genie Plus can help make the experience smooth and enjoyable for everyone.
When making Genie Plus or Lightning Lane reservations with a group, you can easily select eligible members from your Family and Friends list in the My Disney Experience app, allowing you to book and manage reservations for the entire group with ease.
To ensure the best experience for your group, follow these steps:
- Designate a leader to make the selections for everyone.
- Use the Friends and Family feature in My Disney Experience to add eligible members to your group.
- Each person in the group must have paid for Genie Plus.
- Remember that Lightning Lane reservations cannot be booked for more than 10 people at once.
By efficiently managing your group’s reservations and utilizing the features of Genie Plus, you can ensure a magical and memorable experience for everyone in your party.
Comparing Disney Genie and Disney Genie Plus
Although Disney Genie Plus offers numerous advantages, distinguishing between this paid service and the complimentary Disney Genie planning tool is important.
Disney Genie is a great planning tool that can be found in My Disney Experience and Disneyland apps. It makes sure you get the maximum out of your visit to the parks, letting you enjoy it to the fullest..
In comparison, Disney Genie Plus is a paid service that provides access to Lightning Lane reservations for select attractions, allowing you to skip the regular standby line and enjoy a more streamlined park experience.
As you plan your Walt Disney World visit, weigh the added convenience and benefits of the Genie Plus service against its additional cost. Alternatively, evaluate whether the free Disney Genie planning tool satisfies your needs.
Tips for Visiting Walt Disney World without Genie Plus
If you opt for a Walt Disney World visit without Genie Plus, several other strategies can help enhance your park experience.
One such strategy is to utilize standby lines and the Disney World single-rider lines for attractions, which can help save time and allow you to experience more rides during your visit.
Virtual queues present another great opportunity at no cost. Join the first one at 7 a.m. Then, at 1 p.m, join the second one if you are inside that park.
Another approach is to plan ahead and know the park hours, attractions, and shows that are available during your visit.
It is important to know HOW to access each ride – whether that’s through Genie Plus, ILL’s, virtual queue or the standby lines.
By employing these strategies and being flexible with your plans, you can still have a magical and memorable visit to Walt Disney World without the added expense of Genie Plus.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Disney Genie Plus?
Disney Genie Plus is a paid service offering front-of-line access to high-traffic attractions and shows, like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade. It also allows guests to enter select attractions through the special Lightning Lane entrance rather than the standby line.
Is it worth getting Genie Plus for Disney?
Yes, Disney Genie Plus can be worth it, particularly if the park is busy or you want to avoid waiting in line. You’ll get access to front-of-the-line privileges at many of the park’s attractions and can save significant time compared to standing in the standby line. However, it may not be as necessary at Animal Kingdom and Epcot.
How much is the Disney Genie Plus?
The Disney Genie Plus costs between $15-$35 depending on the date you’re visiting, with the current pricing model allowing you to choose from a range of options.
How do I purchase and book Genie Plus?
To purchase and book Genie Plus, simply head over to the My Disney Experience app on the day of your visit.
Can I Cancel or Modify a Genie+ Reservation?
Yep! Just head to the My Disney Experience app and select your reservation. You’ll be given the chance to change or cancel it.
Is Genie+ Included in the Price of a Ticket?
Unfortunately, Genie+ is not included in the price of a ticket. It is a special add-on feature that can be purchased starting a midnight the day of your park visit.
Which park has the most Genie+ rides?
Magic Kingdom has the most rides of any of the parks and, therefore, many of them participate in Genie+.
Disney Genie Plus Summary
Disney Genie Plus is a game-changer, especially if you’re all about maximizing your time and experiences at the parks.
From Lightning Lane access to a whole suite of planning tools, Genie Plus takes the stress out of your Disney day, letting you focus on the fun. And hey, if you’re staying at a Disney Resort Hotel, those extra perks are just the icing on the cake.
Bottom line: If you want to make the most out of your Walt Disney World visit, Genie Plus is a smart move. It’s like having a Disney pro right in your pocket, guiding you through the magic every step of the way.